Painting your home is a great way to update the property. While choosing a professional painter can save you some of the hassle of painting yourself, it will also end up costing you more money. Painting your own home can allow you to have complete control over the whole process, and save you hundreds of dollars in the process. Follow these 6 painting tips to ensure your home looks its best after painting.
- Choose your color. Think about the look you are trying to achieve when painting. Darker colors will make your home warmer and cozier, while lighter colors will make it more airy and open.
- Choosing your finish. There are many different finishes to choose from with paints, from flat to eggshell to high gloss. Matte finishes are easier to clean, while the more sheen to the paint, the more you will be able to see any imperfections.
- Test it out. Most paint companies will provide an oversized sample sheet that you can tape up to your wall to see if you like the color. These can be ordered through the paint company’s website.
- Get the supplies. Make sure to get supplies to repair the wall before painting, including a scraper, putty knife, caulk, and a caulk gun. You will also need different painting supplies, including an angular brush, roller brush, plastic sheeting, blue tape, paint tray, and a two step ladder that has a shelf.
- Prep your walls. Inspect your walls for any imperfections, including cracks, nail holes, and dings. Use putty to fill in any holes, and sand when it dries to ensure it stays flush with the wall.
- Paint the walls. After applying the blue tape around anything that is not getting painted, use the roller to paint the walls, and the angular brush to paint corners. Paint the baseboards last, and wait until the paint is dry to remove the tape.
When it comes to insuring your newly painted home, contact Access First Insurance.